Now Hiring: Seed to Feed Director
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The Seed to Feed Director is a motivated individual responsible for overseeing all of the various aspects of Seed to Feed. This includes the planning, administrating, and evaluating of all the work that goes into maintenance of the gardens, cash crops, livestock, farmer/donor involvement, and educational programing. The Seed to Feed Director will offer oversight
Job Description: Seed to Feed Director
February 22, 2023
● Full Time, Exempt
● Able to work some nights and weekends
● Reports to Executive Director
Seed to Feed is a program of Church Community Services (CCS) and works in collaboration with the food pantry. The program began in 2011 with the intention of providing fresh, local produce and protein to food pantries throughout Elkhart County. Currently the program is comprised of 23 gardens, 2 onsite greenhouses, a cash crop field, the “Pigs for the Pantry” initiative, and a variety of educational initiatives including, free community gardening classes and the Teen Growers Internship for local high school youth.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The Seed to Feed Director is a motivated individual responsible for overseeing all of the various aspects of Seed to Feed. This includes the planning, administrating, and evaluating of all the work that goes into maintenance of the gardens, cash crops, livestock, farmer/donor involvement, and educational programing. The Seed to Feed Director will offer oversight of the gardens associated with Seed to Feed and is responsible for coordinating with each garden to prepare for the seed starting, planting, maintaining, and harvesting of the gardens. They are also the direct supervisor of the Garden Education Coordinators who in partnership with the STF Director manage the onsite greenhouses, garden spaces and educational programs at CCS. The Seed to Feed Director collaborates with other employees of CCS to work with volunteers, seek publicity opportunities, and develop the Seed to Feed program and CCS as a whole. In addition, they collaborate with a wide variety of community members, volunteers and mentors for support. This position will work in compliance with the regulations and standards set by CCS.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
● Desire to both work with and educate the surrounding community & pantry clients about nutritious food, gardening, and health
● Knowledge of plant propagation, garden planning and garden maintenance
● Committed to accuracy and thoroughness
● Ability to work with diverse populations
● Supervising/Managing employees
● Coordination of employees, volunteers and interns
● Proficient at public speaking
● Effective communication and relational skills
● Committed to ongoing learning
● Ability and willingness to learn sanitary food storage and handling guidelines and practices
● Competency with computer software such as databases, spreadsheets, and word processing.
● Current Driver’s License
Additional Desired Skills and Qualifications:
● Knowledge of ServSafe Training or other similar computer software
● Knowledge of sustainable gardening practices
● Knowledge of fundraising, nonprofit structure, sustainable revenue models, and program financial development strategies
● Ability to lift and carry objects weighing 50 lbs.
Additional Desired Experiences:
● Program administration or management
● Food handling
● Experience working with youth
● Data entry
● Public Speaking/ Donor Relations/ Customer Service
● Understanding of or connection to the local food and agricultural community
● High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
● BA/BS (preferred but not required) in a related field- including but not limited to: communication, nonprofit management, social work, education, agricultural management, sustainability, environmental science, health services.
Salary is commensurate with experience; qualified candidates will fall within a range starting at $35,000 annually.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee in this position. Employees may be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give assignments. This position description excludes the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Church Community Services does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, or disability. However, commitment to the mission, purpose, and programing of Church Community Services is critical.
To apply, please send your letter of interest and resume to Keith Sarber at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest in Church Community Services.
Comments are closed.
send us your classifieds!
Everyone is welcome to post opportunities (jobs, internships, equipment, land, etc.) as well as things you're searching for (land, equipment, vendors for your market, etc.). Posting is free - we just want to help get the word out!