Basic Function: Gleaning is harvesting leftover produce after the farmer has harvested his/her fields. The Northwest Indiana Area Gleaning Coordinator will coordinate gleanings in the Lake, Porter, La Porte, St. Joseph, Newton, Jasper, Pulaski, Fulton, Benton, White, Carrol, and Cass Counties for the Society of St. Andrew (SoSA). This would involve all groups gleaning in this area, along with all activities and events for the Society of St. Andrew.
Part time Feb-Nov. Works with volunteers and community partners.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Build relationships with existing farm partners; forge new relationships with potential farm partners.
2. Identify and engage community gardens growing for donation to food pantries. Recruit and organize regular volunteers to harvest and transport produce from community gardens to hunger relief agencies.
3. Identify farmers markets to glean; provide all logistical planning and volunteer recruitment support.
4. Conduct outreach to community partners and volunteers. Event tabling will be required.
5. Organize and execute gleaning events, including transportation of produce from field to hunger relief agencies at least once or twice a week during the harvest season. Supervise gleaning events to ensure the safety of participants and respect for farmer’s property. Must have the ability to lift at least 25 pounds.
6. Communicate clear instructions to volunteers, answer questions about the program and provide follow up information. Maintain communication with all parties involved before, during and after event including follow up communications and reporting.
7. Must be available to work on Saturdays, some evenings and with weekday flexibility.
Qualifications: Motivated and outgoing individual with excellent organizational skills who enjoys the outdoors and working with people. A self-starter with great initiative and good follow through skills. Experience working remotely a plus. Familiar with basic computer skills and access to a personal computer and cell phone. Physical labor required when gleaning. Position requires a vehicle. Must be 21 years old and have a good driving record.
Expectations and Compensation:
Society of St. Andrew – Indiana
7840 Ditch Road
Indianapolis, IN 46260
send us your classifieds!
Everyone is welcome to post opportunities (jobs, internships, equipment, land, etc.) as well as things you're searching for (land, equipment, vendors for your market, etc.). Posting is free - we just want to help get the word out!